Wednesday, December 14, 2005

#9 - Tokyo

I have a friend in Tokyo named Dr. Sho Kanzaki, with whom I worked at Michigan. He was excited for me to visit, and on Friday afternoon I received an e-mail saying "can you get to Tokyo by 11 a.m. tomorrow? You have a ticket waiting for you for a Kabuki play." So, of course, I made it to Tokyo by 11!
This is the Kabuki theatre. People were all dressed up, and the place was packed - this, for a four hour long play in a very old form of spoken Japanese that is very hard for native speakers to understand. So why is it so popular? I would wager to say Kabuki's incredible beauty has a lot to do with it. The performance I saw was a revenge play (no surprise there) about two rival ladies-in-waiting. One frames the other, who then takes her own life and is avenged by her loyal servant. The costumes and the disciplined acting were so gorgeous! Seeing video of Kabuki is no comparison. And it turned out that Sho had bought me one of the best seats in the house, right next to the Hannamichi runway!

With Sho's ticket he and his wife had left me some directions. They instructed me to enjoy Tokyo and included a map of how to get to Akihabara, an area I had mentioned wanting to go. They said they would meet me later for dinner. I went to Akihabara, otherwise known as "Electric City."

The building pictured is a new store that has just opened in Electric City, and was very, very crowded when I went. I can really only explain it like this: take Times Square and all its people, turn it on its side, and cram it into a nine-story building. Then, to make matters even more ridiculous, they not only blare announcements and loud music at you over the store speakers, but most of the employees carry megaphones and shout at you about deals they are offering. Nothing will ever, ever be as overstimulating as this was.

Humorously enough, after escaping that store, I met with Sho and his wife for dinner, and they decided to try out the restaurants at the top of this "new shopping store that's just opened." So back I went, into the belly of the beast. We had Sukiyaki at a very nice and surprisingly quiet restaurant on the top floor of crazytown. They are wonderful people, and we talked about Japan, and theatre, and science. It was great.

Then the Kanzakis helped me be on my way to my next destination. I traveled to Funabashi, another area of Tokyo where I met up with my friend Shawn. Just for the record, Tokyo is insanely huge. Thirty-six million people live in Tokyo - that's three New Yorks, and more than thirty-six Detroits.

This is Funabashi in the rain. I met up with Shawn and his girlfriend for drinks and such at a little private room at a bar, and was witness to a rather enthusiastic (read: drunk) business party in the next room. Then it was back to Shawn's for the night in yet another part of tokyo about a 30-minute train ride away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home